Ok, I’m attempting to write a post in twenty six minutes because it’s 11:34 pm, and I’d like this to show up as on… today (5/2/14). I figured sharing a recipe would be quick and easy, and it is one of my favorites. I love this recipe. I have to stop myself from making it aside from holidays because no one else in my house likes coconut creme pie, so then I get stuck with a whole pie.
(23 minutes left…)
If you haven’t gotten it yet, this is a Coconut Creme Pie Recipe.
Or maybe it’s a recipe for mouth heaven. I guess there isn’t really difference, though.
Original Recipe on allrecipes here.
1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
3 cups half-and-half
2 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (9 inch) pie shell, baked
- 1 cup frozen whipped topping
(18 minutes… Ugh! Copy and paste, what have you done to the bullet point formating?!)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Spread the coconut on a baking sheet and bake it, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the half-and-half, eggs, sugar, flour and salt and mix well.
- Bring to a boil over low heat, stirring constantly.
- Remove the pan from the heat, and stir in 3/4 cup of the toasted coconut and the vanilla extract.
- Reserve the remaining coconut to top the pie.
- Pour the filling into the pie shell and chill until firm, about 4 hours.
- Top with whipped topping and with the reserved coconut.
(12 minutes! Ahhh!)
Okay, now my personal notes, I always use a graham cracker crust; they’re soooo good. If you want to make your own graham cracker crust, you just need butter and graham crackers, maybe some sugar or cinnamon. All you have to do is crush the graham crackers into tiny crumbs, mix it with a little butter and pack it down. Or if you’re lazy like I’m prone to be, they do come pre-made.
Secondly, I just want to stress again that you need to stir the coconut while it’s toasting. It will burn. As I’ve found out most of the times I make this. What can I say? I’m absentminded; I forget to stir, and the next thing you know, I’ve got a bunch of crispy coconut corpses.
Also, I never skimp on the whipped cream; it’s so good!
There you have it! Hope you love it! And I have 8 minutes to spare. Ha, procrastination! I beat you this time!